Building Permit Applications
All Applications MUST Include:
- Contractor's Liability Insurance & Worker's Compensation
- Electrician's Orange County License - if applicable
Homeowner is Contractor
Zoning Board of Appeals/Planning Board
- Please note: It is recommended that all applicants to the Planning Board attend an informal Technical Workshop held the first Wednesday of every month. Call 496-7011 ex. 726 to schedule an appointment.
Building permits are generally issued 5 to 10 business days after all required paperwork and information has been submitted. Please be advised: If the BI must return to a property a third time for the same type of inspection because the first two inspections failed or the work was not ready/done, there will be a $100.00 charge for each additional time the BI must return to do repeat inspections.
Town of Blooming Grove code: § 128-4. Building permits. I. Time limits. Building permits shall become invalid unless the authorized work is commenced within six months following the date of issuance. Building permits shall expire 12 months after the date of issuance. A building permit which has become invalid or which has expired pursuant to this subsection may be renewed upon application by the permit holder, payment of the applicable fee, and approval of the application by the Code Enforcement Officer.
If approved by the Building Inspector, a permit can be extended one time only for one more year and half of original permit fee. Please be advised that it is the applicant’s/home owner’s/contractor’s responsibility to schedule inspections (24 hour notice required), call this office to find out if the inspection was approved/denied and submit final paperwork to close out the permit. There will be a $125.00 fee to close out an expired permit.
A permit is not required, cannot exceed 6 feet in height can be placed on property line (must consider Town easement and traffic sight distance). If stockade style, finished side must face out.
Many residents have purchased inflatable/quick-set swimming pools as a low cost alternative to an above-ground pool. The use of these pools violates NYS Codes unless certain requirements are met. The State requirements are as follows:
- Above-ground pools, including inflatable/storable pools, must be enclosed within a 4 foot high fence if the pool is capable of holding 24 inches or more of water. NOTE: Traditional above-ground pools with solid walls at least 48 inches above grade are exempt from the fencing requirement if the pool ladder is removable or lockable.
- Access gates on required pool enclosures must be self-closing and self-latching.
- The pool’s pump must be UL listed and plugged into a GFCI outlet.
- A NYS approved pool alarm must be installed.
In addition, the Town of Blooming Grove zoning laws requires that you:
- Obtain a pool permit.
- The pool must be placed a minimum of ten feet from side & rear property lines, a minimum of 15 feet from the house and is not permitted in the front yard.
- Electrical inspection & a Certificate of Compliance is required prior to use.
Town & NYS Codes